Sunday, February 28, 2016

My life as a sideman

So, we bring seven months of work to a conclusion as a side man for an up-and-coming Texas songwriter. It's been an interesting experience being part of the support structure for a good band but, in the end, it was time for the experience to draw to a close. I'll miss the guys in the band, miss the gigs that were a look into the real musical heart of Texas. But I learned a few things....

First, I remember just how much I love the sound of the steel guitar. Playing all the parts that pull a song together is one of the best spots on the stage. You can move couples closer together on the dance floor with the right melody lines, support a good singer and make them sound better. And there is nothing on this Earth that sounds as wonderful as a pedal steel. Nothing.

Second, I never would have even considered taking up the violin had it not been for this band. It's another sound that I've fallen in love with, and hopefully soon the sound in me head will match the sound coming out of the instrument. Sandy Mathers was right, it is the devil's instrument. It's not going to take a visit to the crossroads to master this thing, just time and the stress of getting parts ready to play on stage. No fear.

Third, I'm not cut out for sitting in the back.

Finally, would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

With luck I can still fill a spot with these guys in the future. Always good to make music with your friends...