Monday, May 02, 2005

I've been waiting for weeks for my amp to get here. It took much longer than anyone expected. Then I needed a transformer to bring the 240 volt electricity down to something the amp can deal with. Fine. This afternoon I decided to wring out my amp before all the neighbors got home from work.

What a really, really bad idea....

Well, just let it be said that I did meet my next door neighbor. I've been here 3 weeks and seen no sign of life next door (we share a thick granite wall with them, the house is like a Texas duplex). To be fair, it was extremely loud. I think she was a little suprised to see gray-haired me answer the door, I'm sure she was expecting to see my teenage son. "Gosh, I sure am sorry" I said, "it was a little loud, I'll turn it off right now". At least she left happy. And she seemed nice, once she got over the shock.

So, from this we've learned a few things:

1. We really do have a next-door neighbor.
2. Granite walls make really bad sound barriers.
3. We need to work on the volume
4. I'm still kinda loud for an old fart.

And to think that my mother said that my guitar playing would only get me in trouble, what- 30 years ago? I should have listened!