Sunday, February 26, 2006

What is it about some people?

I don't normally rant. Today is an exception.

We played at a new club tonight, first time there. It's a bit of a watering hole for people moving on to bigger clubs later in the evening, mostly University-age people. Kids, basically. Tonight there was a group of people celebrating someone's 21st birthday, and normally we do all the right stuff- play the birthday song, buy them a drink. The whole bit. Tonight, the birthday boy had a friend that's a singer and he wanted himto sing. His friend didn't want to sing, but the birthday boy armed with the righteous indignation of too much alcohol insisted that he was going to sing.

I said no. I don't let anyone sing through my microphone, and I don't let strangers sit in with the band if there's no one I trust to vouch for them. Too much risk. The end.

The birthday boy's girlfriend insisted. It's his birthday after all. Before long she was cussing, spitting and carrying on, thinking that she could brow beat me into agreeing. A loud and extremely unpleasant situation all the way around.

I still said no. Sorry, there's just no way.