Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm all for Airport Security....

But let's stop picking on guitar players, ok?

I'm posting, which means I made it from Aberdeen to Alaska. It took over 37 hours of travel time what with:

1. The computers being down in Aberdeen and my flight out being an hour late.
2. Missing my flight to San Francisco out of Paris by 5 minutes (see above)
3. Going from Paris to Atlanta, and sitting on the runway for an extra hour waiting for 35 other passengers to get there.
4. An extra hop from Atlanta to San Francisco
5. Going as far as Seattle on Thursday and sleeping in the Seattle Airport
6. Arrive in Anchorage on Friday 16 hours late.

All of that isn't really surprising these days, you travel and you get delayed and re-routed. No big deal.

What I noticed is that EVERY time I had to go through a security check I got flagged for a 'random' search. EVERY time. Once in Aberdeen, 3 times in Paris, twice in Atlanta, Twice in San Francisco and once in Seattle. Random. In Paris they even went so far as to take my guitar apart. I was well-dressed and polite until the screwdriver came out and my guitar was turned into pieces while they were closing the door of my flight.

Some interesting observations:

1. Everyone with a guitar got the same treatment.
2. People with Baby Strollers were also subject to random searches.
3. Skanky people slid on by.

I am in complete support of airport security. After all, my baby brother is an Airline Pilot. But I can't help but wonder if we've now instituted profiling against guitar players and young mothers. Odd combination, no?

Sorry, that's my rant for the day.