Monday, October 10, 2005

A Whirlwind tour of Texas

Hey all, I'm back. It's so good to be home. I love Texas, don't get me wrong (it was even home at one time) but there is nothing in life like the sound of your suitcase hitting the floor inside your own front door.

Spent a week in Houston, checking out local bands and sitting in here and there. I really enjoyed a set by Sonny Boy Terry at the very funky Shakespere Club. He's a great harp player, worth checking out if you're in the area.

From there I was in Dallas for the 6th Anniversary show of Blue Lisa's Big Texas Blues radio show on KNON 89.3. She took me on a tour of the new studio and I spent some time talking to my old friends Dave Chaos and Don O. Don was also kind enough to put me on the air during his show and play a couple of songs off the new CD.

The anniversary show was a monster bill at Django's on the Parkway, with locals BB Campbell and the Hambones, Andrea Dawson, Blue Lisa, me and Candye Kane. Mike 'BB' Campbell is an upcomer in Dallas, and they really kicked it off fine. Andrea Dawson is my favorite new Blues-RnB singer, man she's got an incredible voice and stage persence for miles. My set (with a fair amount of steel guitar) was very well received, and Lisa's band did a great job with my songs. Thanks Tim, Nick, Jim and Lenno- you guys rocked the house.

But life in Dallas, ahhhh, what a great time. I used to live in a sleepy little town called McKinney, and so on Saturday it was off to visit friends for an old fashioned porch party. Ok, it's not exactly blues, but I love going back to my old haunts. Dinner at Sicily's. Cafe Brazil, the Metro Diner, Guitar Center, Charley's Guitars. But the best part was sitting on my friends Lawrence and Nina's porch with Dan, Rick and Kerry and all the kids and just catching up.

But, home again. Laundry and then time to put the CD's that I bought on my mp3 player- and then I'll tell you all about those too.