Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Some needed down-time...

Man, I love getting a break to to nothing but hang out with my kids and play the guitar. Take in the sunset for a change. Write songs. Oh, play gigs and drink some wine afterwards with some interesting people.

While I´ve had some down-time I´ve finally had a chance to really work with the tuning that my friend Larry Allen turned me on to last year, it´s a cool E-based tuning for a lap-steel that uses a 6th note on the 4th string, which means I can play full-on minor chords with a straight bar. Opens up some really interesting tunes for that guitar. Of course, if you´re used to playing in C6th then this is no big deal. But C6th isn´t really a very bluesy sounding tuning and this one is.

So, some surprises coming, some of which you´ll hear on the new CD. I *love* this tuning. My poor band.....