Sunday, August 21, 2005

Arbroath, Saturday (part one)

Hi gang- We're halfway through the Arbroath Blues Festival, two gigs down one to go!

Had a great set with the band at the Inverpark Hotel in the afternoon. It's really a pub with a hotel attached and for once it was a real easy load in. In fact it was almost too easy- the club (unbeknownst to us) had hired a PA for the day, so I didn't need to move anything but my guitar amp and a few odd 6-strings. Place was empty as a church on monday as we set up, but by the time we kicked it off there wasn't a seat to be had. Which is really pretty amazing seeing as it was a spectacular day outside. A bunch of my music buddies were there too- Sandy Mathers, Chris Simmonds and the cats from uGli, and of course excellent folks like Anna. Steve Arvey from Chicago stuck his head in to say hi too. And, of course, a typical Son Henry Band set- 2 hours, no break and no set list.

Saturday night I had a solo gig at the Station Bar, a little hole-in-the-wall across from the train station. This place was *really* tiny, gang. About as wide as an average kitchen and about as long as Blues Central in Anchorage. I got my gear all set up, was ready to go and then *BOOM* went the power. We re-set the breaker and then blew it again. Once we unplugged the cigarette machine, the ice maker, the dishwasher and the jukebox the fuse stayed lit. So, off I went. Once again the place was jammed with people, I mean crazy jammed. It was so full that in order for people to get to the toilets in the back I needed to stop playing to let them get by, so I'd start scatting and dry strumming to keep time and they'd be able to answer nature's call. Oh, it was supposed to be an hour gig, but by the 45 minute mark there were a bunch of people dancing and we were having so much fun that I ended up playing about a 90 minute show. Thanks guys, I had as much fun as y'all did.

So, today it's off to the Burns Bar in Arbroath for a closer. One more electric set and I can crash. What a great weekend so far....