Saturday, August 13, 2005

Blue Lamp last night

Thanks to all of you that came out to see us last night. I love the acoustics in the Blue Lamp- there's something about a long room with a slate floor that really seems to enhacne the sound of the band. A bit of natural reverb perhaps. Whatever it is, I love playng there.

I'd been posting on Billy Allardyce's forum (http://blindman.forumhoster.com/) right before leaving about those old pawnshop and ebay guitars. I was joking about how much I love the old silvertone and harmony guitars, old danelectro's and those other really cheap student models. Well, ok, so I favor an old strat too. But if you're reading this from the blindman forum, I was thinking of you guys as I set up- an old magnatone, and old silvertone, a national lap steel. Nice looking backline.

We'd intended to play 2 1-hour sets, but we started at a little after 9 and took our first break around 11:30. What can I say, we were in the zone. I just felt good to play. For a late second set we had local harp ace Spider McKenzie sitting in as well. Great to see Sandy Mathers, Dave Blair, Chris Simmonds, Eric-the-Social-Worker and Dave Inness, and get at least a few minutes to catch up with everyone. And the crowd from BP- welcome to the family!

So, a couple of people commented that we weren't playing enough slide tunes, and looking back on it I have to agree. Not sure why the muses took us in the direction that they did, perhaps we just needed to dust off the old west coast catalog, or some Lazy Lester, or Otis Rush. We'll try and play more slide tunes in Arbroath.

It's great how close some of you pay attention to what we do. A couple of people commented on the difference in tone between the magnatone and national lap steels- you could have knocked me over with a feather, you guys are really astute! My favorite comment though was

"That sounded like a cross between David Lindley and Stevie Ray Vaughan"


(David Lindley was the guy that played steel guitar for Jackson Browne by the way- remember 'Running on Empty'?) I should have my 10-string repaired by the Arbroath Festival next weekend- then we'll really have something to talk about!

So, here's a little prod to all my friends- don't be shy about making a tune request! I remember songs like I remember jokes- one leads to another, all being linked in some strange interconnected way that I don't understand. But chances are if you ask for Magic Sam, you'll get that plus a bunch of other stuff that'll make you smile. And since we never work with a set list who's going to know?

Thanks again to all of you that made it out last night. Be sure to tell all your friends that stayed home to watch re-runs on video that it's a proven medical fact that socializing will extend your life-span. Why not do it with a blues soundtrack.....

Peace

Son