Saturday, May 12, 2007

Hanging with Ray

I had a chance to spend some time with Ray Bonneville this week (www.raybonneville.com). Some of you in Aberdeen remember that Ray blew the roof off the music hall 2 years ago as Robert Cray's opener. He's a solo player with a really killer sense of rhythm- foot board, percussive guitar style, great harmonica playing; he's the whole package.

He's also a great guy and a certified road dog. I helped Ray load gear in to the Lemon Tree on Friday morning and then had a chance to sit and talk music for an hour or so. He was really a great help breaking down his guitar style for me (and it's still Chinese math for me), and some equipment. But it was his insights into songwriting that I really enjoyed. If you've heard his songs, you know that he can really put ideas together in a way that's like a painting, very Dylan-esque.

What can I say? A couple of great shows, and a chance to talk shop with a guy like that? Great weekend. Validates why I do this.