Sunday, May 27, 2007

Some reflections on the Globe Gig.

I've noticed that the more we rock out, the more CD's we sell. Hmmmm, so much for being a 'pure' blues band I guess. That extra bit of energy seems to play well with normal people.

I suppose it could be a bad, if you were a purist-type of guy. I know bands that are stuck in niches like 1955 jump blues, and that's great. After turning this around in my mind for the last few weeks my take on it is this- I'm a songwriter first, a performer second and a guitar player third. I can't force the songs to come out in a certain specific style, they come into this world fully-formed. Since that's what we take to a gig, well, that's what seems to define the sound. And so we're not an archivist or historical preservation society. It's modern blues, roots music if you prefer, that's a reflection of my life and the times we live in.

Sound like I've been thinking about this? I have. Carrying the label of a 'blues' musician means that I feel honor-bound to be playing blues, and as close to the bone as possible. Truth in advertising. With the new material we're headed off to be more like the 'Glenn Highway Blues' version of the band- more slide, more country blues style stuff and a little less of the lumpy shiffles.

At the end, it'll be what it will. Always follow the muse. Are we a pure blues band? Well, I'll let you decide what you think about that. With this post, I've officially beaten this one to death here.