Saturday, June 16, 2007

I'm on a tear about volume

I'm really tired of waking up the morning after a gig with a sore throat. Of having to whisper, drink tea and nurse my voice for a couple of days. Yeah, I know, you're thinking something like "wait, we've seen the rig of doom with the 50 watt Marshall and the old Fender, are you for real?". And the answer is yes.

I have all my amps running on power-soaks so I can control them, reducing the volume to a level that's easier to manage. I've been keeping my stage volume down. Way down in fact. when we started at the Tunnels the other night we had our volume under control and Les was able to use bundle-sticks at a gig for the first time. See? It's possible. It just didn't last the night.

It's the rest of the world that now needs to adapt. Soundguys that won't turn the monitors on, or keep turning my mic off (like Friday night), or stare at you with a puzzled look on their faces when you're cupping your ear because you can't hear otherwise. It's not just sound guys too.

I'm going to be difficult about this. I'm tired of coming home from work injured, which is what this is, plain and simple- a work-related injury that's avoidable. Time for this to change.