Sunday, June 17, 2007

Oh, about that new CD

All the guitar parts are done, I'm about half-way through singing it. I'd be finishing it this week, but after the gig friday night I'm going to rest my voice instead, it's trashed from a bad monitor mix and an excessive stage volume. So, instead I'll probably end up finishing the new songs I'm writing.

Which is a good thing, because I've sketched out the next band record as well, or at least I think I have. So many of you have told me how much you like the 'Glenn Highway Blues' disk, that there's something special about the vibe of that CD. I guess I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel the same way. And, as it turns out, the new songs are much like that disk- open tunings, gritty chord changes and some reral strong thumpy-juke-joint dance grooves. Not sure when I'll get around to finishing this one (or starting it for that matter). But I do need to get the sketches to the guys in the band and start working them up so we can rotate out some of the songs I'm really tired of.

Change is good. I wish there wasa faster way to go from song idea to performable tune. The songs always need time to settle in, both for me to be convinced that they're worth taking to a gig and ultimately recording, and for the guys in the band to get comfortable with the material as well so they get performed with confidence.

The ultimate will be to get rid of this arbitrary boundary between songs that I write for a solo performance and for a gig with the band. One set of songs would be a novelty.