Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Lemon Tree

I had a chance to try out some of the new material that I've been writing at the Lemon Tree on Friday afternoon. If you've been there you know that the lunch-time audience is really there for lunch with background music. I think they like the music, but it's the food-music combination that works and fills the seats. And you compete with the coffee grinder and lots of ambient noise. On the good end, the acoustics are good, the PA is top-notch, and all my friends seem to cut out of work and sit and listen to me sing over a cup of java. So, there I was on Friday, sick as a dog, and playing new songs.

Something about being down with this horrible cold puts you into an alternatvie head-space. The cold medicine gives me the shakes. Hate that. But, enough complaining. It was a good set of music, and I've heard that from my most honest, insightful and brutal critics. Oh, by the way, they're also good friends, and I love them for their honesty.

I'd warned everyone that this was going to be a little folky, rather than a straight blues set. I stuck to that. The folks there heard me do songs like 'Ball and Chain', 'Hole in my shoe', 'Man in the mirror', 'Sackcloth' and one or two others that have never been performed for an audience before. They all worked. I'll take them with me to Dundee where I'm doing two acoustic sets and planning on recording them both for release on SnoCap, MySpace and as downloads for the people on my email list.

OK, need sleep. Be well, see you soon!