Sunday, June 10, 2007

Making a Diddley-Bow: Getting Started

Just a shot of good whiskey and a one-string diddley-bow
(Jake Matson)



The one thing I dont have these days is a Diddley-Bow. And today when I was helping my oldest repair his guitar we ended up with a tuning machine to spare. I had an extra guitar pickup so what to do? Well, make a diddley-bow, of course!

My goal was to get to the local DIY store and spend under 10£ for the remaining materials. And so, we bought a bit of framing lumber and some angle-iron and we were out the door for £7.40




Here are the boys holding the wood we'll use for the body.



And in the next picture here's the peghead. I used a hand-saw to cut a large notch that I could use for mounting the tuning peg. It's a little rough, but it'll work.



The bridge, nut and tail piece are made form the ange iron. Drill a couple of mounting holes and cut to length. It's screwed down with some left-over wood screws that came from lord-knows-where. Some old honey-doo probably.