Sunday, June 17, 2007

New Blues CD's

Seems like my MP3 player has been idle lately, and the CD player in the truck has had the same old Southern Culture on the Skids and Boneshakers CD's in it for a long time now. Time for a change- here's what's come out lately that I've been enjoying-

Seasick Steve and the Level Devils (Cheap)- great CD, my diddley-bow inspiration these days.
Kelly Joe Phelps (Tunesmith Retrofit)- mellow stuff, great acoustic player.
Amos Lee- both his new ones are great, and he's been blessed with a really amazing voice, especially in the upper ranges.
Rance Allen- Big Mitch turned me on to this guy years ago, and he's where I always go to find something for the car to sing along with. Singing with Rance is like taking batting practice with Hank Aaron.

That's it for me. The normal sacred steel and electric blues CD's are staying in the jewel cases these days, seems like there's a lot of material available but not much that's really inspiring or exciting listening these days. Not really much for the blues-rock stuff at all, and the acoustic stuff that I've been finding on line seems to be yet another re-tread of the Robert Johnson catalog.

Anything new and original out there you know about? Let me know about it!