Sunday, June 03, 2007

more rig adjustments.....

Spent more time tweeking the rig this weekend. It's a keeper.

I'm running a Weber 100 watt attenuator on the Marshall, which is one of the ones that works with resistors, and I think it's a good backup but I'm going to swap it for one of the ones that uses the reactive load in the form of an old speaker motor. According to a buddy of mine that has one, they're more natural sounding, and that's really my issue with the one I have, it's fine but it acts like a brick wall. So the upper dynamic range gets squashed.

But it's a minor point.

The reality is that the bulk of the tone is coming from the Pro Reverb, I'm a die-hard fender cat. But it's nice to have that extra something beefy to add to the mix. That Marshall is the thing. I know my blues-purist buddies are cringing. But hey, Jimmy Reed recorded with borrowed gear, so take a cleansing breath and trust me, it sounds like the bees knees.

And it's god because my old 100 watt Super Lead was wiped out in a flood a couple of weeks ago. Did I post about that? I can't remember. Oh, well, we had a plumbing fitting burst in my flat and it ran water into the back of my other amp. It's toasted. It's repairable, I suppose, once it dries out. Actually, I'm in no great hurry to plug it in after bailing almost a litre of water our of it. And in fairness, would you plug it in? We'll leave that for the folks at the Marshall Service Center.